Reducing crime through partnership and prevention
Business advice post Lock‐down 2 – 2020
Due to the second national lockdown, the missing of Black Friday for many businesses and the re-introduced tier system, you may find your businesses busier than usual even for this time of year.
The Metropolitan Police Service are advising retail stores to review their security and ensure that adequate resources are in place to respond to the increased demand. Retailers should provide their own security arrangements and consider police assistance only as a ‘last resort’.
Using last years “Black Friday” as an example, there were incidents of overcrowding across London and arrests were made as shoppers clashed over bargains. Think about how you can improve on what you did then and be prepared for large crowds.
Add to this the need for shoppers and staff to wear face coverings and the anger this can bring against those who don’t, you see the need for greater awareness.
The following points are a list of considerations but are by no means exhaustive:
- Businesses should have sufficient trained staff to cope with the increased demand, this may include managing external queues.
- Have the ability to control access points in to your premises
- Security officers should have a highly visible presence, clearly display ID badges and be briefed. Crowded places can lead to more pickpocket opportunities.
- If your store has access to a ‘BusinessWatch’ radio, ensure it is used effectively
- Ensure your staff are fully briefed to positively engage with customers
- Staff must remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to security or police
- Review your emergency communication plan and ensure all necessary equipment, including first aid supplies, are readily available
- Check and test building security and emergency systems
- Ensure staff are fully aware of any emergency/evacuation procedures
- Ensure CCTV is fully operational and that you have available staff members who are trained to operate it
- Contact your local police if you have specific events which you feel they should be aware of